Wednesday, May 20, 2015

To Drink, Or Not to Drink, That is the Question

Steve is truly my best friend! He's hilarious and we always have a blast together. I never get sick of hanging out with him, and we usually spend tons of time together. The last 7 months have been really busy for both of us, so we haven't had as much time for each other as we normally do. The last time we had a two week break from work/kids/reality was in 2010 when we went to Europe for a few weeks, so two weeks alone for our honeymoon was greatly deserved on so many levels!

New Years Day Steve and I set a goal to not drink for 1 year. If you know us, you know what a huge deal that is, especially since our wedding was coming up. It didn't seem right to not drink at our wedding, but we made it through alive. We both have different reasons for taking a break from drinking, mine being that the last time I was completely sober for one year was when I was 11. Sad, but true.

As our honeymoon approached, the topic of drinking came up. I went for a run one day to really think about my desire to drink or to stay on track with my goal. By the time we left on our honeymoon we would be past the four month mark, the longest I had gone without drinking since 2005. My reason for taking a break was strengthened by the fact that I had made it so far, and I decided to stay on track with my goal.

About 1 week before we left, Steve said that all he wanted to do was drink a beer on the beach. Boy did drinking a beer on the beach sound wonderful LOL! That comment changed everything for me. I mean come on, it's our honeymoon! A once in a lifetime trip!! We'll never have another honeymoon, but I'll have countless opportunities to reset and achieve my goal. So, in the end, I decided that I was going to drink on our honeymoon.

I had gone four months without drinking no problem. It's funny how bad I wanted a drink after making that decision! I did resist though, and by the time we had a glass of wine with dinner the night before we left, we had officially made it 127 days. I think that sort of accomplishment deserves a celebratory drink Lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment