In therapy a few months back, I had a very deep-seated revelation about myself; I am a perfectionist and I or anything I do is never good enough.
Growing up, I had a mom and step-mom that both hated me but loved my brothers; a dad that had abandoned me; a mentally, physically and emotionally abusive step-dad; and I was the only girl with 3 brothers and 4 step-brothers, so I was always heavily picked on. I grew up thinking something was wrong with me, that I was defective. I guess I figured if I became perfect, they would love me. But it didn't change anything, they all hated me just the same.
I have some very unhealthy behaviors that are a direct result of this chronic rejection. I come up with projects and I think that if I can get things just right, my life will make sense and everything will run smoothly. I become obsessed with making them perfect. I'll work on it for days, sometimes a week or two, staying up all hours of the night to keep making revisions, to make it better.
For example; I have bipolar disorder, so my life is a vicious up and down roller coaster that never stops running. When I hit a low, I'm there for quite awhile. At some point my shame and self-hatred become too much, so I set a bunch of goals to change my life for the better (eat better, work out, be a better friend, be a more engaged mom, be more successful at work......).
One time, I decided that I needed to create a quiet space where I could have time to myself and meditate and write and work on my issues. I decided to transform my closet into a Zen environment and ventured out to redesign my closet. I literally spent five days working on it, and I mean non-stop, fully consumed, nothing else matters work. It's mentally exhausting and emotionally charged, because I know it's not healthy but I can't stop. I finally finished the closet and it was perfect and peaceful. It helped me get out of my funk, because I knew that meditation was going to help me "get better". I meditated one time.
This new awareness is painful. It's painful because I see how negatively my childhood issues have affected my life and who I am. It brings up those old feelings and memories. I notice now that I live my life so afraid of being judged that I'm not living my life as the real me.
It's also the first step towards getting better, and that's a wonderful thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment